Explore Financial Aid - UW HELP

Explore Financial Aid

Now is a great time to consider how you’re going to pay for college. The following will give you a better understanding of the process and the options available, including scholarships, grants, loans, and work study. Let’s quickly go over each of the options that might be included in your financial aid package.
Get Started

How to Get Started

Start with FAFSA

You’ll notice pretty quickly, almost all financial aid opportunities will require that you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Meet With Your Counselors

You should meet with the Financial Aid offices at your UWs. They are great at helping you navigate your financial aid options. And, if you’re still in high school, your high school counselor is a great person to talk to about finding grant and scholarship opportunities in your community.

Types of Financial Aid


Scholarships are awarded based on your academic achievement or other specific criteria. Scholarships don’t need to be paid back. It’s like free money. Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be necessary for many scholarships. Please be aware that you should never pay for scholarship opportunities.


Loans are money that you borrow, usually from the government, that not only needs to be paid back but will include interest. You will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to find out which loans you are eligible to receive.

National Community Service Programs

Community service jobs like AmeriCorps can provide stipends for education in exchange for a commitment to serve in your community after graduation.

UW HELP Emma D Boettiger Scholarship

The UW HELP Emma D. Boettiger Scholarship is established to encourage the pursuit of a post-secondary degree in the Universities of Wisconsin. The scholarship will award two academic scholarships to Wisconsin high school students who plan to enroll at a Universities of Wisconsin institution beginning Fall 2024 term. The scholarships are given in the memory of Emma Boettiger’s sister, Nettie Dieckmann, and nephew, Freddie Dieckmann. Applications will open in January 2024.


Grants are money given to you — typically based on financial need, and usually by the government — that you don’t have to pay back. You will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to find out if you’re eligible for any grants.

Work Study

While in college, you may consider getting a job on campus. Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides the opportunity to possibly get a part-time job easier for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. You will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you’re eligible for Work Study programs.

Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC)

ROTC programs offer more than military training and experience. Participants in Army, Air Force, or Navy-Marine ROTC programs may be eligible for scholarships and monthly stipends while serving their country.