This statement discloses the privacy practices for the UW System website uwhelp.wisconsin.edu. Protecting the privacy of website visitors is important to us. We want to ensure that users understand what information we collect and how it is used.
II. Voluntary Information
We will not collect personally identifiable information from you other than what you supply to us voluntarily. For example, if you fill out the “Counselor Request” form on this site, you will be asked for your email address. This information helps us reply to your request as well as tailor the site to your interests. This information is also used in aggregate form for statistical purposes. UW-Extension’s division of Continuing Education Outreach & E-Learning will not share your personal information with third parties except as may be required by law.
III. Network and Web Server Logs
When you visit uwhelp.wisconsin.edu, UW System web servers automatically collect and store limited information about your computer’s connection to the Internet.
The information collected allows us to make our site more useful to visitors. We do record some or all of the following information:
- The Internet Protocol address (IP address) of the machine you used to access our website. Your IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet know where to send you data. Your IP address does not identify you personally.
- The date and time you visited uwhelp.wisconsin.edu
- The pages visited on uwhelp.wisconsin.edu
- The Web browser, type of computer and operating system used to access our site
- A list of files downloaded or viewed
- The amount of time spent viewing files
These data DO NOT contain any personally identifiable information. Data are used to analyze website traffic and make improvements to uwhelp.wisconsin.edu.
How UW HELP collects Information for Remarketing with Google
We advertise with Google Remarketing, displaying ads across the web to users who may have visited the UW HELP website in the past or have shown interest in specific products or information within the site.
- We utilize cookies to track information unique to each visitor including pages visited and past site activity in order to provide better service when users return to the site as well as a better user experience in the future.
UW System web servers have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control.
IV. Website Metrics
UW HELP uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to help determine how visitors use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information to evaluate your use of the website, compile reports on website activity for website operators and provide other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
V. Applicable Law
We assume responsibility only for uwhelp.wisconsin.edu. Be aware that sites we link to are not under UW System’s control. Privacy protections of those linked sites may differ.
Effective Date: December 10, 2012