We know that some of your students already have the itch for international study, and with good reason! Studying abroad allows students to:
- Hone foreign language skills (but there are plenty of study abroad opportunities that don’t require knowing a different language!)
- Gain knowledge of another culture
- Develop self-confidence and independence
- Enroll in college courses somewhere else and transfer them “home” to meet degree requirements
- Build their résumé
- And more!
Study abroad experiences vary greatly by length, by country, by campus, and by program. Sometimes, financial aid will apply toward the program, and sometimes there are specific scholarship opportunities available. Students may begin their research to find a UW study abroad opportunity through these sites.
- UW HELP Online lists numerous informational resources that will get your students started on their quest: https://uwhelp.wisconsin.edu/internationalstudy/index.aspx
- A UW System website includes a listing of study abroad programs by country: wisconsin.edu/international-education-engagement/study-abroad/
The world seems to get smaller all the time, and by studying abroad, our students help to make that happen.