National Decision Day is May 1. I personally know students who are delaying their decision about which college to attend until the very last days of that timeline. You probably know some, too.
When the difficult decision has been made about which campus to attend, there are easier items they need to take care of, on or before May 1.
Let’s say that the UW campus the student has decided to attend is Campus A, and the other campus(es) is Campus B. Here is a start of the to-do list for each campus.
For Campus A:
- Make sure the college knows you want to attend! They might require an enrollment deposit that secures your seat in the freshman class. Pay that by May 1.
- Have you paid a housing deposit/prepayment yet? Different UW campuses call it different names. Essentially, that deposit/prepayment reserves a space for you in a residence hall room. Check with the housing office for deadlines.
- Speaking of housing: some students prefer to look for a roommate on campus social media outlets, and others let the campus decide. Either way, research shows your odds of finding a good match are about the same.
- Accept the pieces of your financial aid offer that you’d like to accept.
- If you have received private scholarships already, inform the donors where you will be attending so that the funds can be issued to the correct campus.
- Take placement exams.
- Reserve your space at the summer registration program.
For Campus B:
- Contact the admissions office and tell them you will not be attending. If you have paid an enrollment deposit, it is refundable until May 1.
- Your on-campus housing deposit or prepayment may be refunded in whole or in part, based on policies of each separate campus. Contact the housing office for deadlines.
- Since you’ve told admissions office that you won’t be attending, they will let the financial aid office know. No worries here!
- If you have been in contact with any people who have taken an interest in you (such as faculty, support staff, coaches, etc.), it is courteous to thank them for their assistance and let them know you won’t be attending.
Students can find contact information for multiple offices within the UW System campuses by going to our Campus Profiles page and clicking their campus of interest.