Apply to College for Free: Steps for Students with Financial Need
If paying the application fee for a UW System school is financially difficult for your students, they may be eligible for a waiver. Applicants of any age may request the waiver, and each campus decides whether to accept it.
Steps for submitting a fee waiver:
- Read the waiver request form found below.
- Fill out the top portion, which asks for the student’s name, contact information, and birth date.
- Speak with an official who can verify that the fee is a significant financial burden and ask this person to fill out the middle section of the form. As a school counselor you can do this for your students. If a student has graduated from high school, a university official or a government agency caseworker can help.
- When the student submits college applications, he or she does not pay the application fee. The student will select “Pay Later” in the last portion of the application.
- Submit the Application Fee Waiver form to the campus Admissions Office for approval.
Application Fee Waiver Form