Work and College

Federal Work-Study and Part-Time Work

Many new freshmen seek part-time work during college. Working part-time is a great way to assist with paying tuition and to have extra spending money. Part-time work has many benefits, such as improving time management and organizational skills, and gaining valuable work experience. However, it is always important to maintain a balance between the number of hours worked and the number of credits taken in a given semester.

Many offices on a college campus hire students during the school year. In some cases the work requires that the student is awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS).

FWS is a federal student financial aid program that promotes part-time employment for qualified students. Students applying for FWS positions must have been awarded FWS funds. If you are interested in participating in the FWS program, you should apply by completing the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information on how to complete the FAFSA and apply for financial aid, see How to Apply for Financial Aid.

Finding Work

One of the best places to start searching for a part-time job is the student employment office.

In most cases, the student employment office will have a list of Federal Work-Study (FWS) and non-FWS positions, as well as off- and on-campus jobs. Some of these offices also have listings on the Web. See the list of UW Student Employment Offices.

The classified ad sections of local or campus newspapers are another option for identifying employment opportunities.

Return to top.