Approximately 10,000 of Wisconsin 's adults over the age of 25 will decide to earn a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) this year. You can, too!

Obtaining your General Educational Development (GED) certificate or HSED can be a stepping stone to a career change or a salary increase, and it may open doors to other opportunities – even college.

There are two options for completing your high school education. You can take the General Educational Development (GED) test, or you can earn a Wisconsin High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) which is similar to the studies required for high school graduation. According to the Department of Public Instruction, the HSED is a minimum requirement for most jobs today. For all branches of the military and a growing number of employers, the GED certificate is not the same as a high school diploma or the HSED.


You can take the GED tests, pass them, and receive a GED certificate. Or, better yet, you can go further by taking all of the GED tests and a health, citizenship, employability skills, and career-awareness program — or options explained below — and receive an HSED.


Earning Wisconsin 's HSED is similar to the studies required for high school graduation. Five options are available to earn the HSED.

To earn the HSED in Wisconsin , you must meet certain requirements:

Applying for Admission to College

After you obtain your GED or HSED, you might consider applying for admission to college. Your application process is similar to any other applicant's. You will need to show that you completed your GED or HSED by having official test scores sent to the admission office. In addition, if you completed any formal high school education, you must have your high school send an official transcript.

For more information about obtaining a GED or HSED, visit

Return to top.